5.20.2009

Bad Spa Experience


Last Friday I had a pretty horrible experience at the spa. I didn't want to blog about it at first because I didn't really want to say anything negative about the establishment. But then again, I feel like I'm doing people a service by telling them certain places to avoid.


I had been very stressed lately (working in the school system will do that to you) and needed some relief. A very good friend of mine gave a gift certificate to another friend and myself to go to a spa and have a girls day together. Manicure, pedicure, massage and facial. Sounds like a good time right? Well, it wasn't. Not for me anyway.


I arrived 30 minutes earlier than my scheduled appointment time. I knew since I was a new customer to this particular spa that I would have to fill out paperwork and create a file. Although my friend was running late, I didn't expect the staff to be so rude about it. They were aware that we were coming together and would like to have our services done side by side. The ultimate girls time. I opted to start the process without my friend (with her permission on the phone) and went on to get my pedicure. This is where it all goes down hill....


The initial person to do my pedicure ends up not even being a nail technician. I was wondering why she had such a hard time trying to help me pick out a nail color. She even got an attitude with me and told me I was wasting time by not knowing what color I want. Rule number 1 when in a spa....I don't care what kind of mood you are in as a staff member; the customer is always right! I am supposed to be relaxed, not stressed and not rushed. If it takes me 45 minutes to pick out a nail color then so be it! She then decides that she's not going to do my pedicure anymore and tag teams with someone else. I know have a woman that speaks little English and is rather rough with my feet. I opted to skip the manicure and allow my friend who arrived late to get a pedicure as well so we could have some time to chat side by side. They looked good at the end....but customer service wise I wasn't satisfied.


On to the massage. The room was not very inviting, calming or relaxing. There was no changing area with lockers to place your things in. I had to fold my clothes up and just put them in a corner on the floor! Not acceptable. The massage itself was pretty good, but I don't appreciate her rubbing her ultra oily hands in my hair. That made me angry. After the 50 minutes was up, there was not a calming voice to say "OK Ms. Coleman our time is up....". Instead I awoke to a blaring voice saying "OK I'M DONE. YOU CAN PUT YOUR CLOTHES ON NOW" and she left the room. Now I know (because I'm not new to the spa experience) that there was to be instruction and a care guide given after the massage. She was supposed to tell me to keep hydrated; that I might feel dizzy, and that she has moved toxins all around my body etc. But that didn't happen.


The facial wasn't that bad. I had never had a facial before (other than some over the counter masks and some home remedies) so it was a new experience. There was some sort of steam treatment that she administered and that I wasn't too fond of. I could just feel every bit of my hair frizzing up as a result of the steam that was being directly blown in my face over the course of 20 minutes or so. What I did not like is how the technician kept leaving the room and not even parting her lips to say "I'll be back momentarily". What if I was having a reaction while she was gone?!? Who was I supposed to call out to? And she had my eyes covered as well. I also did not like how every step she made she didn't tell me what she was putting on my face. I don't care if I put on my sheet that I'm not allergic to anything. When you put something on my skin or do something to my body, as the professional I'm expecting you to tell me what you're doing. I need to be confident and know that you know what you're doing and I want to know all the steps as well in case something happens or I have an adverse reaction I know exactly at what stage of the process it occurred. Call me crazy....


The facial lasted for an hour and the entire time that I was laid on my back and stiff, I started experiencing sharp pains in my back, neck and shoulders as a result of my massage. I think there was even a point where I wanted to let out a single tear. When the facial was over she just left...and that was the last I saw of her.

3 comments:

Krista said...

Which spa was it? We should know so we can avoid it!

Unknown said...

Its the Oasis Day Spa in Columbia Maryland. Absolutely awful in my book.

Unknown said...

I hope you complained?!! I wouldn't have even paid for shitty service like that!