9.09.2015

Wedding Wednesday: Artist Kit Essentials


As a freelance makeup artist, I do bridal work more than anything else. For that reason, my kit and the products inside are more geared toward just that.

While this list is not finite or the end all be all, they are just some of the things I can't live without when doing bridal work.


Moisturizers and Primers


Prepping and priming the skin is of the utmost importance. My favorite moisturizer is the Embryolisse Lait Creme. I also can't live without mattifiers for my more oily clients and pore minimizing products. Something I will be adding to my kit will be a color correcting wheel, but that is for another blog post.

Eyeshadow Bases


Eyeshadow bases are super important to prep and prime the eyelid and make sure eyeshadows not only stick but blend flawlessly for my bride and her maids on such a special day. One of my bases of choice are the IMYB Cream Bases from Danessa Myricks. These highly pigmented cream bases blend like a dream and can be worn alone or topped with shadow. A bronze or opal colored base on the lid can do wonders. Other bases I may use are the Paint Pots from MAC in Soft Ocre or Painterly.

Cream Foundations


Cream foundations will always be my go to product when working on brides. They are the most universal foundations. I can build them up, sheer them out. Mix custom colors. You name it, they can do it. Wonderful cream foundations to use are Mehron, Black Opal and Dermablend to name a few.

Flirty Lashes


Lashes always seal the deal for me when it comes to my bridal clients. Even for my brides who have never worn lashes before, they somehow always fall in love. They're life changing to say the least. My favorite lashes to use for bridal or the wispie and demi wispie styles. They add just the right amount of drama without looking too heavy and fake.

Brow Pencils


When it comes to brow pencils I reach for the MAC pencils or the Anastasia Brow Wiz. They allow me to create hairlike strokes with their fine tips which is very important.

Setting Powders


If you don't already know, now you will know, each and every time you use a cream or liquid product you need to set it with powder. I keep a mix of loose setting powder from Ben Nye as well as their matte powder palettes in Mojave and to accommodate a range of complexions. Not only can I set with these colors, but they are a dream for highlighting and contouring. I also really love the Kett Set translucent powder which to me is the best around to set makeup without any cast of color.

Lip Pencils and Stains

Lips that last are important. Through the hours, the kissing, the eating and drinking. Whether the end result is matte, satin or gloss, pinky nude to the vampiest  color, I will always use a liner and a lip stain to achieve the desired look.

Setting Spray

Locking the face once its all said and done is very important. I want to make sure my bride is not going to sweat and melt her face away. My go to product of choice is the Skindinavia setting spray.


No comments: