6.22.2011

Couture DIY: Honey, Egg Yolk and Olive Oil Mask


Last week a friend of mine and I decided to look for recipes for face masks and scrubs, see what we had in the kitchen and whip something up. What we found was a quick recipe for dry skin (which I have) that consisted of egg yolk, honey and olive oil. We gave it a try.

Benefits: A perfectly moisturizing and soothing egg yolk face mask. Honey is a humectant which means it attracts moisture and keeps it where it belongs: under your skin. The olive oil moisturizes even deeper



Ingredients:

•2 Egg yolks


•1 teaspoon organic Honey (the darker the better)

•1 teaspoon extra virgin Olive oil

•4 drops Vitamin E oil (optional)


Directions:

If necessary warm up the honey until it becomes runny (not too hot!) by putting it in a small glass or metal bowl which is immersed in hot water (or a few seconds in the microwave)


Mix the honey with the egg yolk and olive oil until you have a smooth and consistent substance

Spread the paste gently and equally with a facial mask brush or spatula on your clean face and neck; keep the eye area clear

Now lie down again and leave the mask on for 15-20 minutes

Then wash it off with warm water and a soft warm wash cloth and end with a splash of cold; pat your skin dry with a clean towel. Finally tone and apply a moisturizer

For my thoughts read on


Thoughts:

Because we put the honey in the microwave it made it runny. It was a little more difficult to apply to the face using my hands. I think if I had a tiny spatula it would have gone better, or maybe not put the honey in the microwave for so long to make it more thick and easier to apply. I will say this...IT SMELLED HORRIBLE! I really thought I would vomit from the smell, but the end result was worth it so I decided to get over it.

After a few minutes I could the feel my skin begin to tighten as the mask was hardening. After the 15 minutes, I really felt that my skin was smooth and quite moisuturized. I didn't even put a moisturizer on after I removed it from my face with a warm cloth.

Overall:

I recommend this mask if you have dry skin. I really liked it sans the horrible scent.


*peace love & couture*


No comments: