6.23.2011

Not Just A Diet

About 2 months ago I came to my breaking point, and decided that I needed to change my eating habits (too much) and exercise habits (being lazy and not moving). For my entire life I was small, tone and in shape. Although I was active and participated in many things (jazz, tap, ballet, cheerleading, poms and soccer), once I stopped I realized I didn't have to do  much to maintain my svelte physique. At one point people used to ask me "how do you stay so slim" and I would respond: MY 4 S's- steak, stilettos, sex and sleep. Well that isn't the case anymore. Once I hit 25 my metabolism slowed down immensely and I can't eat the way I used to.

When I decided that I was really going to take my body back and get it to where I feel it should be, I met a lot of opposition from my friends. I didn't understand it. Just because I'm already small I can't want to work out and eat healthy? So if I was fat or obese you wouldn't care that I want to change? I'm confused. How about I don't want to be fat, and I will do whatever I need to do to avoid that. So what I watch what I eat and count calories and crave cardio and working out.

My friends laugh at me when I say "I'm not on a diet, I've made a food lifestyle change". They can laugh but it's true. I have had to change my eating habits for good. I simply cannot do the things that I used to do and think that I will be able to maintain a healthy weight. I'm approaching 27 and I refuse to be the woman in her 30s or 40s crying and complaining that I can't get my body to look the way I want it to look, or have high cholesterol or high blood pressure because I didn't change a few things in my 20s. Let's be real, I was a Public and Community Health major in undergrad, I've taken anatomy and physiology and a whole host of other classes where I know better about how to treat my body and the adverse affects of not taking care of your body. I'd be stupid not to be conscious of the things I consume and how I treat my body.

You can be fat, miserable and unhealthy if you want to...I won't be joining you. #hairflip


*peace love & couture*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you Candice! Don't pay attention to the people that laugh at you. Little do they know they will be asking you for your workout plan. Trust me, I've been through this!

It took me going to the hospital to find out that my colon was not working properly to change my eating habits.(sad I know) I no longer eat red meat or pork its been 3 years and I feel GOOD!

I m very happy to read this post! and good luck to you!

Judith,

http://www.estilomode.com/

Unknown said...

Thanks Judith! It definitely takes having people in your corner to support you. I'm glad you were able to make the proper changes. This just means when we meet up for food it won't be at a burger place *wink*

Anonymous said...

Definitively no "burger place" ..=)


Judith
http://www.estilomode.com/