9.02.2010

Retailers Cut Back on Juicy Couture

I'm not at all surprised by the news that I read, and am actually an advocate of of this new shift in retail. It appears that many large retailers and department stores have decided to no longer carry Juicy Couture in its stores. These retailers include Saks, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales and Neiman Marcus. Read the full NY mag article here.

Working at Nordstrom, I have seen the shift. Buyers would buy Juicy from vendors and it would just sit on the floor. It would sit and sit until it went on sale and then it would sit some more until it would be pulled off the floor and sent to Nordstrom Rack. In my opinion the items were dated, over priced and for lack of a better word...ugly. The handbags are gaudy as is the jewelry which turns in a short period of time. I don't care what you do to take care of it. I began to think what is the point of having this line?

Some things just run their course. I believe their downfall was capitalizing on something that was a trend and/or fad and not evolving. People get over it, out grow it and it simply fizzles. Maybe this is why the creators decided to remove themselves from the day to day business of the company.

Again, this is my opinion and its coming from someone who has never liked Juicy Couture.

No comments: