6.20.2012

Happy First Day Of Summer!

Today is the Summer Solstice and the first day of summer. Although I was born in the fall I swear I'm such a summer baby. Bring on all the heat and sun you possibly can.

While it's super hot and I enjoy weather like this, I really urge you ladies and gents to stay hydrated. Dehydration is not a joke and can lead to many things other than you passing out in the street. Please drink plenty of water throughout the day. The rule of thumb is to drink half of your body weight in ounces of water. For example if you weigh 130lbs you should be drinking 65 ounces of water a day.

When you're laying out and going to the pool or on the beach make sure you're wearing sunscreen. And women of color please know that it is possible for your skin to burn as well. Here is the burn rate

  • Fair Skin = 10 mins
  • Olive Skin = 15 mins
  • Dark Skin = 20 mins
If you're wondering how long your sunscreen is going to last, there is a simple formula to help you. Take your SPF number x Your burn rate = Time your sunscreen will last. For example if you have an SPF of 20 and you have olive skin (15 mins) 20x15=300 minutes or 5 hours in the sun.

I love laying in the sun but I have guidelines and you should as well. Happy Summer and Happy Sunning!

xo
Candice Olivia

No comments: