3.04.2009

Interview/Career attire

Ok, I have to get this off my chest. There won't be any pictures. This is a straight rant.

I recently went to a career fair for Secret Service and Homeland Security. It was jam packed with people. Times are tough and everyone needs a job these days. But this is what I have to say....can you please dress for success?!? I really don't care if you don't have a dollar to your name. I really feel that you need to dress for the job you're applying for or trying to obtain. If you don't look like you can do the job, or have done the job before they most likely don't think that you can. Its sad to say, and it may sound superficial, sometimes your looks coincide with your resume. This was a situation where they have never spoken to you, and have not had a chance to see you or your resume ever. The first encounter was them scanning you from head to toe and speaking to you. Some of you may not agree, and I could care less, but here are some of the mistakes I saw:

Some women wore heels that were too high. That's inappropriate. No one cares that you're naturally short. When your heels are too high it comes off too sexual and you look like a stripper. You're applying for a job, not to stand on the corner.

Some women had on "club" make up. A dark smokey eye is suitable for the club. Not trying to get a government job. You look like a fool and in most cases like a hoe.

Some men and women alike were dressed in ill fitting clothes. If you're suit doesn't fit get a new one. I'm sorry. Or if you had to get a hand me down from someone else and they were too big, take a few dollars and get it tailored to fit you. This is your first impression on an employer. If you can't keep yourself together, who's to say you can keep your work together. Just my opinion...

One of the ultimate offenses to me was showing up in jeans and tennis shoes. That was just absolutely inexcusable. People were dressed as if they were just touring and site seeing in D.C. It was absolutely ridiculous.

No comments: