10.19.2009

University Dress Codes?

Yesterday I was listening to a debate on the 96.3 WHUR a local radio station regarding whether colleges and/or universities should be able to institute dress codes for students. The debate comes after a decision that Morehouse University has made to institute a dress code amongst its students that will prevent the gay population of students from dressing as freely as they were. 

I was becoming rather annoyed as I continued to hear callers voice their opinions in rebuttal to those voiced by the radio personalities. Michael Baisden feels as though there should not only be a dress code but that students should wear uniforms. I think this is absolutely absurd! 

Personally I'm riding the fence on the issue. Although I am someone that adheres to rules and appreciates legislation, I also value self expression and the right to do what you want. I don't like to break rules and many of my friends would say that I'm a little uptight. I do believe there is such a thing as proper protocol on behavior and dress in many situations i.e.: church, work, interviews, first date, etc. However, when I'm paying to attend an institution I should be able to attend class how I see fit. 

Although I may be uptight in my own right, I don't want to shadow any ones personal expression or creativity. As my father always says "dare to be different". If a biological male decides to wear a dress to class that has nothing to do with me or the way that I learn. I don't go to class to sit and stare at my classmates. I'm there to obtain knowledge, retain the knowledge and apply it to every day life. 

These are just my thoughts. What do you think? 

1 comment:

tha unpretentious narcissist© said...

as a graduate of morehouse, i agree with michael too. i think they should just go to uniforms. they we're talking about mandatory blazers about a year an half ago, don't know what happen to that.

what people don't know is there has always been a dress code, it just got more laxed as the years went by. i don't think it's so much a "control" of individuality, i think it's more so control of your campus. it's not outlawing the dudes who want to dress in women clothes not to be in their personal space as they like, it just stops them from dressing like that in class, campus hosted events.

i'm saying i'm not feeling the no hat policy, hoodies, etc. that will effect a lot of students too. but at the same time it's a "look" of the morehouse man that they are trying to maintain. you can dress in ladies clothes all you want at home, out in your free time, but when you're a morehouse man on the morehouse campus at a private institution there is a image you're expected to live up to.

just saying.