12.09.2010

To Test or Not to Test on Animals? Cruelty Free Cosmetics

While searching for new blogs to follow last weekend I came across The Royal Blush. It immediately  jumped out at me. I quickly noticed that she only uses products that are cruelty-free meaning not tested on animals.

I knew there are a number of companies that test their products on animals. I mean hello, I saw Legally Blonde 2. Despite the fact that I've seen the movie and very aware that companies do animal testing, it never dawned on me that some of my beloved brands would test their products on animals. It has only been within the last few years that I have owned a pet and I love him with all my heart. I couldn't imagine him suffering in any way. So why would I want that for any other animal?

I went on PETA's website to see a complete list of the companies that test their products on animals vs. those that don't. I can't tell you how shocked I was to learn that majority of the make up, hair and even household products that I love and use every day test their products on animals. I feel so torn. My gut tells me to never use the products again, while the other part says but I love this product so much!

You'd be absolutely surprised at the names and companies that are on the list. For the full list click here.

Here are some (the list is too long) of my favorite brands that test their products on animals:
  • Fekkai
  • Clorox
  • Crest
  • Dove
  • Downy
  • Febreeze
  • Fekkai
  • Gucci fragrances
  • NARS
  • Viktor & Rolf
So there goes some of my favorite shampoos, my toothpaste, shower gels and lotions, laundry detergent and cleaning supplies. I just feel so horrible. As if I have been living my life at the sake of some poor animal's life.

What would you do if you found out that one of your favorite products/brands tests their products on animals? Give me your honest opinion.

No comments: